Proprioception: The ability to sense stimuli arising within the body regarding position, motion, and equilibrium.
Commonly referred to as the the 'sixth sense,' proprioception impacts all movement. If you are interested in truly learning how to move well, move pain free and move functionally... start with finding ways to improve your proprioceptive sense.
Here is a quick list to help you heighten your awareness of joints moving through space:
1. Do joint mobility open chain from mountain pose before a workout or yoga practice.
2. Do joint mobility integrated into asana (pictured) to recruit maximum motor units prior to practice.
3. Do closed chain joint mobility, as presented in programs like 6D Flow (by Scott Sonnon) to "dampen the noise of the nervous system" and restore flow.
4. Hold a Clubbell in yoga asana.
5. Better yet, practice flowing Clubbell Yoga to increase post activation potential, feel stronger and more able the next time you practice the same flow without a Clubbell.
6. Practice arm balances, headstands and inversions often.
Engaged in the movement toward more functional fitness. Mama, entrepreneur, leader, mentor, and co-creator of Clubbell Yoga.
Co-Creator of Clubbell Yoga, Movement & Performance Specialist, Head Coach at RMAX International