The best way to get started on something is to just do it. Commit and do it (sort of like going to BurningMan... which I just returned from). A week after being back, feeling like I needed some direction, I recently put a post out on everyone's favorite social media platform [StalkerBook] asking what people wanted me to blog about. The answers were pretty darn good, I have to say.
Just when you think we are oversaturated with information, people want more! I am guilty of it myself. I am constantly learning, researching, speculating, listening to podcasts, sharing ideas, brainstorming, workshopping, prepping for teaching... the list goes on. Apparently, I have acquired some knowledge over the years and I have some stuff to share.
This all came to light when I started my Tuesday morning doing a podcast interview with a former Brazilian Jujitzu athlete/coach and now Podcast personality. I have listened to so many podcasts, that it just felt normal to spout off information about things related to Clubbell Yoga, Clubs, functional training, coaching and more. So, after doing some research on starting a podcast (which I may put on the backburner for now), I thought I would commit to 100 days of blogging and see what happens.
For this first blog, I will write out my intentions for the preliminary topics to be addressed in the order they were received. If you have some more ideas, simply comment below and I will add them to my list of topics to cover (in a practical and easy to understand way). And if I don't know about that topic, then I will research it or contact someone who does know about it, and perhaps pick their brains about it. That is what blogging is about, right? Well even if I don't follow the traditional blogging format, I care about what you care about, so let's get this ideas sharing thing started. In rainbow and chakra order (because I can)...
1. Bliss (Yes! I love that the first one is an esoteric one)
2. Beginners Yoga (hmmm, Primal 12 is created specifically for beginners, so we can tackle that one together)
3. Yoga for Injury Recovery (I could spend a lifetime talking on this one)
4. Lessons Learned in Personal Practice (ditto)
5. Home Yoga: How to get started & keep going (commit! we will go into more detail on this one, don't worry)
6. Prenatal Yoga (I actually made a full length DVD on this one... its pretty rad. There is also a free youtube video online)
7. Breathwork (I freaking love breath. No really, I do)
8. Alignment (Katy Bowman is my favorite on this topic, but I will give you my two cents)
9. How to become a yoga teacher (luckily, I host a Course on this in cities worldwide)
10. Using Yoga to Improve Posture Deviations (you mean like stretching?)
11. Yoga Programming: Timing & Reps vs. Intuition (I like that one a lot! A+)
12. Components of Movement: How they relate to yoga/athletics/life (also a good one)
Its a good list, but I want some even juicier questions and topics. What do you really want to know about? Again, don't be shy comment below if you want to see blogs on other topics in the functional fitness & yoga realm. My background is in coaching/wellness/yoga/mind body practice/business/speaking/teaching/motivating.
And for those of you who are wondering about the whole burning man thing, yes it is a very eye opening experience to live in community with Burners for a week. Following the 10 principles in Black Rock City (including radical inclusion, radical expression, decommodification, gifting, leaving no trace, etc.) for a week demonstrates that we can manifest our own realities on a large scale. Culture shock sets in when you get home, and you realize that you only have this one chance to be YOU and express yourself and your ideas. So really, that is what this blog is about, getting ideas out there and talking about them. Then making action. See you in cyberspace!
Summer Huntington, MS
Founder of Clubbell Yoga
Engaged in the movement toward more functional fitness. Mama, entrepreneur, leader, mentor, and co-creator of Clubbell Yoga.
Co-Creator of Clubbell Yoga, Movement & Performance Specialist, Head Coach at RMAX International